Thursday, August 11, 2016

I Want a Vegetable Garden!

Hey everyone!

I have been so busy this week, I haven't had time to talk to you all.

PLUS, I spend a lot of time Marco Poloing with The Cuatro Quilters and my friend, Deb, these days.

If you don't have Marco Polo, you should try it out.  I have enjoyed it SO MUCH!  Get to see my besties up close and personal wherever they are and doing whatever they do every day.  You make little videos of yourself, and the other person can watch them whenever they have time.  They can send a video back, and you can watch it whenever.

Terry is on a missionary trip with her husband this week.  She left me in charge of her garden.  She told me I could pick whatever was ripe.  I went over today after work to water it, and there were about 6 large Okra ready to pick.  I brought them home, cut them up and fried them.  They were SO, SO, SO GOOD!  The best I have ever eaten.  Cannot wait for more to grow.  She has lots of Okra plants, so there should be a bunch.

Here it is after I cooked it.  The only BAD thing about it was I had to share it with Jerry.   Sure am looking forward to the next batch.
I also got one little tomato when I checked the garden this morning.  I reached up to touch it, and it just fell into my hand.  I took it to work with me this morning, and it was a morning snack.  DEElightful.  I picked a big tomato and several bell peppers too, but I'm saving them for Terry.

If we EVER get a Summer when Jerry isn't busy 7 days a week, I hope to have a garden of my own.  We will have to take some trees down, and he does NOT want to do that.  I will just have to get him to see things my way.  I'm going to have mine in wooden containers up off the ground so you don't have to bend over so far to work in them.  I actually bought a Craftsy class teaching how to do it.

Won't keep you.

Just wanted to say howdy.

I'll try to get back soon and make a new video for you.  I have 720 half square triangles I am playing with, and I want to show you.

Hugs, Joy

5 comments:

  1. Joy, what size half square triangles are you making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can start to garden by slipping garden plants into the "flower" gardens that normally surround everybody's house. Herbs make perfect starters for the first time gardener. You can even get herbs going this time of year in Oklahoma, just visit your home center for the plants and pot them up for your porch or deck. August is generally late for starting vegetables, but there are plenty of planning steps to consider, garden placement, size, and style. I prefer the French "potager" style, but we are so infested with slugs and rabbits that I end of feeding the wildlife. I think a good conversation with a local gardener about your local "varmits" might be the best place to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have been growing herbs for years. They are in pots on the patio. Basil, Parsley and Rosemary right now.
      Thanks for the tips.

      Delete
  3. Private message for Joy.

    So good to have a blog message from you. I was about to email to ask if all was well with you when there you were. Your blog is great, especially your sewing antics and I have learned a great deal from you. I appreciate your honest opinions as well. Hope your employee is on the mend and returns to work soon. We need you at home!

    Take care,

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

TO COMMENT: Scroll down a bit and find the word "comments". It may have a number in front of it. Click on it, and you will be able to leave a somment. I realize you have to choose Google, Facebook or Anonymous or ? to post a comment. If you choose "Anonymous", you will be able to post a comment, but please leave your first name in your comment so I know you aren't a machine.

I do enjoy receiving comments, especially, when they are to answer my questions!

Hugs, Joy