Friday, January 1, 2016

New Year's Day and Super Secret Project

I showed a picture of the super secret project a few posts back, but I am still receiving questions about it.  I made a little VLOG for you, and I talk about it why, when and where -- if you are interested.  You can see my latest jewelry project and the fun gifts I received from Diana.

So here, again, is a picture of the Nurse quilt (super secret project) that I made for my grand daughter, Lindy, for Christmas.

THIS was the FIRST one that I messed up.  I had it bound and ready to pack, and then decided to wash it.  Due to me putting vinegar on it to get some holes out of the picture paper, the quilt yellowed in the washer.

The dogs now lie on it at night.

This version was meant to be a wall hanging.  I used a room divider screen from a Peggy Sager's video for my pattern.  Terry helped me with the math.


And NEXT is the one that I ended up giving Lindy after I started all over.

I decided to make it in darker fabrics so she could just throw it in her car or whatever.  I had to custom-quilt this one, but it turned out nice.  I changed some of the blocks.

This shows detail of the quilting I put in the borders.
I have to go.

I've been sititng WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much.  Time to start a project or two.

HAPPY 2016, MY FRIENDS!

Hugs, Joy

9 comments:

  1. I just love the quilt how beautiful, I think that you are a very talented lady. I have been around quilt making and sewing my whole life as my mother and grandmother both sew. My grandmother however is the quilt maker in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't quite know where to post a request for you, so I will ask here. I would love to see a tutorial by you on sewing a v-neck jersey. Lining up that point with the seam in the vee always gets me. Any tips or tricks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy, Those are beautiful quilts. I love them both! You are so gifted. I love your videos… You keep me laughing while giving me new tips and ideas. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joy: I like both nurse quilts. Despite the flaws from washing the 1st quilt, I think I may have given both of them as a gift--they are both very nice!

    BTW, I want to let you know that there have been several times that I tried to comment on line but for some reason my comments get lost in cyberspace and didn't get posted despite several tries. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't work?? I wish I had your email to comment instead as I would sometimes like to send pictures.

    You are a very busy lady and keep me motivated. Thank you!

    Re New Years: Every year when I change my calendar, I think back on all that God has done for me and count my blessings. For 2016 one of my resolutions is that I would like to be more productive in my sewing.
    Your Canadian Friend, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete

  5. please update us on your sweatshirt jacket, I would love to make one with your simple instructions.

    Thanks
    Annette Parsons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! If I EVER get back to the sweatshirt jacket, I will do that. It is still waiting for me to do some quilting on it, add a shawl collar and hem. Deb finished hers, and it is really NICE! I will try to find some pics to post of hers on my next blog post.
      Hugs, Joy

      Delete
  6. Both the quilts are lovely.
    I like the quilting that you did on the border.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Joy, I am not a quilter but I absolutely appreciate the time and work you put into both quilts...they are both beautiful. I especially like the first one because of the black and white contrast and the modern look of it. Btw, I found the owl book for that quilt and now I just stare at thinking, "what am I going to do with this book, because, I do not quilt." I loved yours so much I might give it a try, where to start is beyond me. I don't even know how to pick out the fabrics. Well, I guess I will just keep staring at the book. LoL. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Anne! That is so funny. You start with ONE OWL. Find a background fabric and cut a rectangle the size the book tells you to. Then copy ONE OWL. Then pick out several owl-colored scraps of fabric, and start cutting out shapes. BE SURE TO iron the Steam-A-Seam 2 Light on the BACK of each fabric BEFORE you cut out the shapes. Then iron them on. Then sew around them. One block done! YAY!
      Hugs, Joy

      Delete

TO COMMENT: Scroll down a bit and find the word "comments". It may have a number in front of it. Click on it, and you will be able to leave a somment. I realize you have to choose Google, Facebook or Anonymous or ? to post a comment. If you choose "Anonymous", you will be able to post a comment, but please leave your first name in your comment so I know you aren't a machine.

I do enjoy receiving comments, especially, when they are to answer my questions!

Hugs, Joy